Thursday 29 November 2012

#3 The Clan Restaurant

The Clan Restaurant 18/20 Bukit Pasoh Road Tel: 62222084 Daily: 11.30AM – 2.30PM (Lunch); 6PM – 11PM (Dinner)
PS: Clan’s creation set menu by Chef Ken Teo is just worth every single cent from my little pocket. As quoted from Chef Ken Teo “Good dining does not have to be expensive.” Same concept like Dozo and Tao’s, you get to choose from a decent range, the starter (fixed), cold dish, side dish, soup, main course to the dessert from the menu. Every dishes served was an eye feast to me. Sitting Area On the 1st floor
On the 2nd floor
The manager and staffs are mostly very attentive and friendly. They are ever ready to refill your glasses when they see them running low. Clan’s manager, Raymond had also briefed me on the concept of the restaurant and the menu. The tables which you can find at Clan are generally bigger in size as compared to other up market players. The spaces in between tables provide enough privacy for their patrons. First: Lime sorbet, citrusy and refreshing to wake my sleeping tummy up.
Second (Starter): (L – R) Salmon Mousse Cone , Pan seared Scallop with Truffle Asparagus , Foie Gras Chawanmushi. It is recommended to start from the right to left, being the least to the strongest taste. The foie gras chawanmushi is just so soft and smooth, which makes me go oomph… However, the foie gras taste is not strong for a fg lover like me. The pan seared scallop is big and it is seared well. Hints of truffle could be found from the asparagus. The salmon mousse cone is powdery and this is the first time I am tasting salmon in a mousse form, creative indeed! The texture of the salmon mousse is smooth and the salmon taste is strong. Not forgetting to mention the cone which is herb-crusted and gives off a nice scent, definitely not the ordinary ice-cream cone which you can get outside.
Third (Cold dish): 1) Oyster in 3 ways. 2) Beef Carpaccio w Truffle Mustard tossed Mesclun Salad in Truffle Teriyaki & horseradish sauce. 3) Earl Grey cured Tuna w Lavender scent Fruit Salsa & Orange Basil Emulsion. The oyster in 3 ways was: Oyster on the rock, Oyster with Tomato Salsa, and Oyster with quail egg yolk soaked in Japanese Wine. I tell you, the oysters were fresh and HUGE. Where to find such dinning perks considering the affordable price you pay?
For someone like me who orders medium-well steaks usually, this is the first time I am eating the animal raw. I plucked my courage and placed one in my mouth. Surprisingly, it does not taste like beef, but more like thinly-sliced sashimi. There was no smell or funny taste. In fact, when it goes along with the truffle teriyaki sauce, it’s yummy.
*Complimentary from the good people of Clan: Earl Grey cured Tuna w Lavender scent Fruit Salsa & Orange Basil Emulsion.* Notes of earl grey can be tasted from the freshly cured tuna. Scents of earl grey and lavender still lingers in my palate after completing the dish. The fruits from the fruit salsa were sweet enough for the bee to find me. I poured the orange basil emulsion onto the salad and both compliments well.
Fourth (Side dish): Deep Fried Foie Gras, Balsamico Reduction & Cheese Focaccia. Caramelized apples were lined under the foie gras. However, no trace of cheese could be tasted from the focaccia. Needless for me to say anything. Just Eat It!
Fifth (Soup): Crab Bisque Cappuccino w Truffle Foam & Prawn Twister The crab bisque is served warm to me in glass. The crab bisque is foamy and smooth to drink. The crab bisque is rich and I like it as it warms my tummy. I can see the prawn fillings in the prawn twister, but nothing to wow about it.
Sixth (Main): 1) Kurobuta Pork Jowl in Pistachio Puree w Pickled Zucchini & 64degrees Egg Yolk. 2) 48Hours Beef Short Ribs on Hoba Leaf w Lava Stone. The kurobuta pork jowl is very soft and has an herb crust on top of it. It is recommended to break the egg yolk and mix it with the pistachio puree. This serves as a sauce to the pork jowl. After awhile, the dish can be a bit jelak due to the sauce. So, I took the sweet and sour pickles to ease the jelak-ness. And it helps. This dish is special and filling.
I can hear the sizzling sound of the beef short ribs when it arrives. The aroma and taste of the hoba leaf is infused into the ribs. Every piece of the meat is soft and tender. I do not really like the taste of the sauce; I would rather do away with the sauce.
Seventh (Dessert): 1) Mandeira Cheese Panna Cotta. 2) Clan Signature, Chocolate Fudge. 3) Chocolate Lava w Homemade Gelato. The mandeira cheese panna cotta differs from the pic on Clan’s website. I was waiting for a berries-filled layer on top of the panna cotta. However, there were only watermelon bits on top. The thin slice of caramelized pineapple on top of the panna cotta gives a contrasting taste to the panna cotta as it is a lil sourish. But, I could hardly taste any cheese flavor in it.
The chocolate fudge cake is tdf! No doubt for being Clan’s signature dessert. The whole block of chocolate fudge is just so comforting. It just brought me to cloud nine.
*Complimentary, again from the good people of Clan: Chocolate Lava w Homemade Gelato.* The lava cake is another tdf dessert on Clan’s menu. The lava cake is decent and satisfying. It is of a right size after having a heavy dinner. The hazelnut gelato is not too sweet, which is good because the chocolate lava is very rich itself. Yummies.
It will cost you $42.80 for a 5 course lunch and $62.80 for a 6 course dinner. Prices are subjected to 7% GST and 10% service charge.

No comments:

Post a Comment